First impression: job interview dress code
A big part of getting a job depends on the first impression. Hence, the clothes you wear to the job interview are very important (have we mentioned very?)! No wonder, they say that you will be greeted by your looks and escorted by your intelligence. While it sounds rather poetic, the reality is that your appearance can ruin your chances of getting your dream job or any job really. So, we have come up with the 5 things you need to keep in mind when trying to figure out the interview dress code.
- Dress accordingly (surprise, surprise). However, here we don’t necessarily mean formal clothing, but rather clothes that are appropriate for the position you are applying to and also correspond to the company’s environment. Showing in up sneakers and t-shirt can sometimes be too much even for the Dutchies who just love their “business-casual ”style (and you guessed it right, do your research to find out)
- Looking neat. We can’t stress this enough, but no one wants you to come in with expensive and extravagant outfits. However, what we recruiters expect, is someone, with clean, pressed clothes and minimal make-up. Hope we are not asking for too much 😉
- Clothes that are too revealing. Hence no short skirts, pants that are too tight or very low cut, please. And for sure no cleavage, you came to impress the recruiter not to flash them.
- No Halloween attire. We can see you rolling your eyes just now, thinking who does that. But trust us, over the years we have seen it all (and we mean all) and people coming in with Halloween outfits is just the tip of the iceberg.
- You can’t always be true to yourself (or can you?). Well, if you have several piercings, visible tattoos or edgy hairstyle, you might need to tone it down a notch (to say the least) if you are applying for an office job. Otherwise, you need to come to terms with the cold reality that you might not be getting it. And yet again, do you really need that job if that means changing who you are? 🙂
Blog by Inforcontracting Group team.
Don’t want to miss our next blog? Follow us on Facebook!
© Inforcontracting Group B.V. All rights reserved.